Sodding with Landscaping Mississauga
Spring Sodding with Landscaping Mississauga is a big time and money investment in your property. It is critical to prepare these areas beforehand to maximize the planting area and tend the turf with proper care.
You can lay Sod anytime, but in spring, it is always the most popular choice at the beginning of the growing season. The mix of rain and cool temperatures are optimal for the turf to take and for the job to look right from the start,
Depending on your lawn state after Winter and your property needs repair, you usually seed or Sod. Today I want to bring to your attention the advantages and some disadvantages we have found.
- Rapid establishment and relatively weed-free in the beginning
- Suitable for slopes or areas prone to erosion
- Sod can be laid at any time during the growing season. Preferably Spring or Fall.
- “Instant” lawn
- Less flexibility in choosing species; most Sod in Minnesota will be Kentucky bluegrass.
- Labor intensive to install
- The potential layering of soil types that causes rooting issues
If you’ve read this far and have decided to go ahead, you need to take some steps to ensure that the project turns out exactly how you wanted.
When choosing to start a Sodding project, make sure the fresh Sod is cut into strips no more than 24 hours ahead of time. Once it arrives, the Sod should be laid as soon as possible or within the first delivery day.
- Lay the Sod on slightly moistened soil
- On a slope:
- Lay the rolls across the slope.
- Stake each piece to hold it in place.
- Fill any cracks with soil to prevent edges from drying.
- Use a roller about one-third full of water to ensure the roots of the Sod have good contact with the soil.
- Keep the sod moist but not saturated until it is firmly rooted in the soil (a few days), then gradually reduce watering.
- After about 10 to 14 days, perform a “tug test” by gently tugging the Sod in a few areas to make sure that it has firmly rooted into the soil. If the Sod has resistance, it is rooted in and can be treated as an established lawn.
If Sodding your property is something you are looking to do in the next couple of weeks, Call Landscaping Mississauga at 416 856 2444 for your year-round property care.